Christmas 2011 is in the books. It came and went without a migraine, sinus infection or tantrum. And the kids did well too. (Ba da bump) I was even CHEERFUL on Christmas Eve. I think my criticism was at a minimum and I even sang in the shower. Christmas carols of course, Angela Lansbury style. What’s Angela Landsbury style you ask? Watch Beauty and the Beast and picture Mrs. Potts singing Christmas songs. THAT’s what I sounded like. It sounded really good to me. In the shower.
1. Mulled wine tastes better when you add lots of sugar.
2. 2 old fashions and a gin and tonic consumed in one afternoon at the in-laws really cuts through any worry or stress brought on by holiday visits.
3. I look 10 pounds heavier in pictures.
4. I look 15 pounds heavier in pictures that are taken of me sitting down.
5. 4 year olds and paint that’s not water soluble don’t mix.
6. When your children are 8 and 11, you don’t have those fucking zip ties on all their crap they get. That’s because they don’t get toys and shit, just expensive electronics.
7. Everything tastes better with half-n-half.
8. Having a dozen candles lit with the fireplace going in our living room sets off every smoke detector in our house.
9. The smoke detectors in our house stop beeping after about 30 seconds once you open some windows.
10. Everything tastes better with mascarpone in it.
11. The movie, The Grinch with Jim Carrey is way too long and annoying to watch with your kids at night when you’ve been up since 5 am. Just stick with the original animated 30 minute version.
12. I have the sweetest, most grateful children. We’ll see what the next 364 days bring.
13. Despite my griping and bitching this whole month, I really do love the holidays. (Shh, don’t tell anyone) AND, I get kind of mopey during January when there’s no holiday pressure to entertain me. I know. I’m just weird.
14. Blogging doesn’t burn as many calories as running on the treadmill. I tried it and my experiment failed. See #s 3 and 4.
15. The dog will eat the cookies you leave out for Santa.